Join us on Facebook

Join us on Facebook



Click on a question below for more information, click again to close:


What does SCUBA stand for?


Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus


Where do I have to live to become a member?


Membership is open to anyone, regardless of where they live. However, most of our members live in Pembrokeshire - unless you live close enough to be able to take part n club activities on a regular basis you might be better off joining a club nearer to your home. Visit to find your nearest branch.


What are the advantages of joining a British Sub Aqua Club (BSAC) branch in the UK?


1. You will receive a high standard of tuition and training.
2. You will always have someone to dive with and enjoy the comradeship that comes with shared experiences.
3. You will be part of the amazing underwater world of British coastal waters.
4. A BSAC diving qualification is recognised all over the world.
5. If you can dive in Britain, with its cold water and sometimes difficult conditions, you can dive anywhere.


How much will it cost?


Please click on this link to visit our page on how much it will cost? Training page.


What equipment do I need?


Club members undergoing Ocean and Sports Diver training to become qualified leisure divers have free use of club equipment (and free air fills) for all pool training, all open water lessons and up to four open water qualifying dives. After that, club kit is available for members to hire.
It is a good idea, however, to buy your own basic kit of mask, fins and snorkel as soon as you can. You can get these from any good sports shop or dive centre. Basic kit costs a few pounds for a snorkel, masks are about £25 and fins start at around £25. Later you will probably want to get your own full set of kit and you will be told all about this during your training.


What does the training consist of?


You will start your basic training to become an Ocean Diver in the safety of a swimming pool. Please click on this link to find out more about training.


What training is available once I become an Ocean Diver?


The next level of training is to Sports Diver, an internationally recognised qualification for leisure diving. After that, the sky's the limit! Please click on this link to find out more from our training page. All future training, except for skills development courses and instructor training, is provided free of charge by RDD.


Diving in the pool is fun, but what if I panic when I first dive in the sea?


Once you start diving you will be entering a new environment and it is natural to feel a degree of apprehension and possibly to feel a little panicky. All dives in the sea are progressive which means we start in about 6 metres of water from the shore, so if you do panic you are in no danger. BSAC divers never dive alone; your 'buddy' diver is there to show you the ropes and come to your assistance the moment it is needed. Until you reach the first qualification of 'ocean diver' you will always be guided by a qualified instructor who will be experienced in taking trainee divers.


How can I be sure of being properly trained?


Scuba diving is a potentially dangerous sport and therefore high quality training is our club's top priority. All our instructors have themselves undergone vigorous training by BSAC and have passed theoretical and practical exams. They all have internationally recognised qualifications.


What if I have an accident or am injured in some way while diving?


Safety is of paramount importance in RDD. All trainees are taught to dive defensively and within safe limits. Accidents do occasionally happen, as with any sport, and it is advisable to take out insurance cover for personal loss or injury through your own insurers.
As a member of the British Sub Aqua Club you will have public liability/third party insurance for up to £10,000,000. More details of this are available from


I have high blood pressure/ a perforated eardrum/ asthma/ diabetes.
Does this mean I won't be able to dive?


Not necessarily. You will be referred to a BSAC recommended doctor known as a medical referee for a decision.


Any more questions?


Take a look at the BSAC website on